Essentially a themeless || Wed 9/1/21 New York Times Crossword

Essentially a themeless  ||  Wed 9/1/21 New York Times Crossword

0:00 - Intro
1:42 - Mini puzzle
2:55 - Daily puzzle (by Eric Bornstein)
6:09 - Commentary

New York Times Crossword, Wednesday 9/1/21
This puzzle really feels like an easy themeless, except with tons of three-letter words. A word count of 71 is in line with a themeless, and we get a bunch of fancy long downs. I really like ANDYETWEREHERE, which has a really nice and authentic colloquial quality to it. I think ENRIQUEIGLESIAS is fun too. But I wish there was more theme material than just the grid art and the single fill THATSABIGIF. Easy themelesses just aren't that fun for me.

Two proper nouns today I had no idea about, HOAGY Carmichael and THEPALEFACE. Of course all the crosses are super fair, so nice to learn about them. I do like the song "Georgia On My Mind", but I am unlikely to go watch THEPALEFACE. The sheer volume of three-letter words running down the middle made things feel a little choppy. Overall it was fine but I wish it had more theme material to it!

20s on the Mini and 4m04s on the daily puzzle. (Weekly running total: 10m50s)

Thanks for liking, commenting, subscribing, and sharing the video!

▶ Daily puzzle (subscription required): https://www.nytimes.com/crosswords/game/daily/2021/9/1
▶ Mini puzzle: https://www.nytimes.com/crosswords/game/mini/2021/9/1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All music composed by my friend: composer, pianist, and all-around awesome guy Christopher Chan - https://christopherkchan.me/

Intro animation by Tiffany Peng, another incredibly talented friend. [I can highly recommend Chris and Tiff if you need any music composed for you!]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Essentiallythemeless9/1/21

Post a Comment

0 Comments